The deadline for applications was 23rd July 2021.
The Makaton Charity is seeking Trustees to help us grow our digital membership and community schemes and to reflect a more diverse set of stakeholders.
We believe growing our membership community and schemes will be vital to achieving our vision and strategy. For individual members we want to offer fantastic personalisation, on-line learning and community space experiences that really benefit beneficiaries, their families, and carers. For group and professional members, we want to provide brilliant products and offers such as training and resources, tailored to their sectors including the NHS/health, education, and social care.
We are therefore seeking up to two more Trustees who can:
- Bring knowledge and experience of successfully scaling up digitally enabled and subscription-based membership communities and schemes. These should maximise member engagement and retention, as well as providing an income in line with our financial plans. Your experience is likely to be in organisations that have blended true community building with generating a sustainable income well – either Business-to-consumer (B2C), Business-to-business (B2B) or both. Particular experience in user experience considerations and impact assessment will be helpful.
- Provide advice, guidance, and challenge to the evolution of our strategy, plans and projects. Making appropriate introductions within sectors and with relevant potential digital or other corporate partners would also be helpful.
- Bring independence of judgement, the capacity to bring a fresh, external but constructive view to decision making, and champion our ambition to support and reflect a more diverse set of members and beneficiaries
- Play a full role as a charity Trustee, including attending Board meetings and other committee meetings, as needed. General duties and responsibilities of a Trustee are found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-cc3
- Bring passion, interest and enthusiasm for our vision and values - help us ‘think and act big’ and extend our influence and reach!
What commitment is required?
Trustees are voluntary roles (approved expenses will be paid) with an initial term of three years. You would need the time to:
- Prepare for and attend c. five 2-hour Board meetings a year (mainly held remotely but one or two per year to be held at our offices in Frimley) including an annual ½ day awayday. However, we are keen not to put any geographical constraints on our Trustees.
- Prepare for and attend any committee meetings you would be involved with (generally only one which would have between 3-5, 2-hour meetings a year held remotely). In time, to be willing to chair a committee.
- Provide limited ad hoc support and input as required.
Download the Trustee Recruitment Guide
Please send any queries and/or a full CV together with a brief covering letter to Sarah.Parke@makaton.org by 23rd July 2021. We will arrange a discussion with our Chair, Rob Douglas and CEO, Stephen Hall. Please note that all Trustees must pass an enhanced DBS check.