Become a Makaton Tutor
Makaton Tutors typically have experience of using Makaton in their communities with people of different ages and abilities.
Makaton Tutors deliver all the standardised Makaton workshops for parents, carers and professionals. Makaton Tutors are also expected to provide support to others around them and liaise regularly with The Makaton Charity.
To apply for Makaton Tutor Training, you must have completed the workshop Levels 1 to 4 within the last 5 years and have a minimum of 6 months experience in using the Core Vocabulary after completing Level 4 training.
Start your pre-course Tutor Training Consultation
During your consultation, your consultant will assess your sign and symbol skills and offer support with any signs that may need adjusting, support with your symbol translation and give you an opportunity to ask questions about the training course.
After your consultation, you will receive an email highlighting any areas you may need to work on, to reach the Makaton standard level of entry, and a predicted timescale of your journey to becoming a Makaton Tutor. The consultant’s email will enable you to book the next available Tutor Training course suitable for you. Please note, you must book onto a course within 6 months of successfully completing the consultation.
The pre-course Tutor Training consultation fee is £270. Please note, your application is not valid until the £270 pre-course payment has been made, we are unable to hold applications longer than a month, after this date you will be required to complete the form again.
Start your Tutor Training course
Due to COVID-19 we have revised and adapted the course to be delivered online, retaining the integrity and standard of the course content. At present, all Tutor Training courses will be delivered remotely.
Tutor Training is an assessed course. The fee is £2,100, which includes tuition, all course material and access to Level 1 to Level 4 Workshop Tutor Packs on successful completion.
Get started by choosing one of the following:
The Makaton Tutor Training course
- Book your pre-course Tutor Training consultation and complete application
- Have your 1:1 consultation via Zoom
- Receive your feedback and pay full course fee prior to confirmation of your course placement
- Complete pre-course reading and questions
- Meet and greet online with your course facilitators and peers
- Attend online Tutor Training delivered over four days, via Zoom, which includes two optional informal practice evening sessions
- Receive personal feedback following the course
- Complete post-course work including sign assessment, symbol assessment and a Makaton information and knowledge assessment must be submitted
- Deliver your final assessment: a presentation from the Level 1 Workshop