Makaton Friendly for...
Public Sector, Leisure and Business
For businesses and leisure operators becoming Makaton Friendly opens the unique and valuable market of one million Makaton users in the UK. For the public sector Makaton Friendly accreditation can reduce frustration and improve outcomes for both staff and clients, it can also contribute to meeting accessibility targets. If you have a Makaton Tutor and have completed Makaton Training then please apply now, alternatively complete our short enquiry form to register your interest and learn more.
How does Makaton Friendly help your organisation?
In gaining Makaton Friendly accreditation you offer Makaton users, their family, friends, and carers the confidence to choose your café, shop, or sports club giving you an exciting opportunity for growth. Public Sector organisations likewise benefit from improved accessibility to services resulting in happier clients and improved outcomes.
How does Makaton Friendly help your local community?
In attaining and communicating your Makaton Friendly status you are driving positive change and helping to improve accessibility for people living with learning and communication difficulties in your local area.
How do we promote you?
The Makaton Charity promotes Makaton Friendly partners through our website, newsletters, and local Tutor networks. We also provide partners with marketing assets, tips and guidance to generate interest with the local press, for use in advertising, and to display at your premises.
How to attain Makaton Friendly accreditation
All Makaton Friendly applications must be signed off by a Makaton Tutor who has supported the applicant through the accreditation process.
The Makaton Charity operates a nationwide network of over 1,000 fully qualified, licensed Makaton Tutors. In the first instance please complete our simple enquiry form and we will introduce you to your local Makaton Tutor.
If you have already completed the Makaton Training process and have contact with a Makaton Tutor, you are ready to get started on your Makaton Friendly journey, apply now.
- Ongoing support from your personal Makaton Tutor
- 24/7 digital access to key signs, symbols and videos in the Makaton Library
- Downloadable Makaton signs and symbols for on-site use at your organisation
- Promotional logos and stickers for your website / social / advertising / windows
- Promotion on makaton.org via the interactive Makaton Friendly map
- Advice and support from peers and experts in the Makaton online community
- Ongoing inspiration and learning in webinars hosted by Makaton experts
Requirements for Businesses, Leisure Operators and Public Sector organisations to attain Makaton Friendly Bronze status
Relevant staff to attend Makaton Taster workshops with your Tutor:
- All staff demonstrate an understanding and appreciation that different people use alternative ways to communicate, and support this
- Nomination of an in-house Makaton champion who has attended training
- Establishment and regular updating of a Makaton information board with Sign of the Week , useful information, and the latest Makaton news
- Know how to contact your Makaton Tutor, or use the Makaton website, to answer any Makaton queries for your organisation
- Provide clients with accessible information, on request
- Staff have easy access to accessible information, notes from their training, and Makaton resource books / downloads
At your premises:
- Provide a supporting and welcoming environment for those with learning disabilities and communication difficulties
- Accessible Information easily available at the entrance / reception for everyone to see
- Makaton information board: sign of the week and useful information featured on it and updated regularly
- Makaton symbols or another visual support system * are used in one area: for example a menu, noticeboard or storyboard
Use of signs:
- Makaton signing is used to welcome people to the organisation, if required
- Awareness of why you use Makaton
- Makaton used at key points of the day to aid choices, for example meal choices, activities and greetings
Register your interest
Additional requirements for Businesses, Leisure Operators and Public Sector organisations to attain Makaton Friendly Silver status
Relevant staff to attend the Level 1 Makaton Training workshop with your Tutor:
- Subscribe to the Makaton Monthly newsletter email
- Have regular updates with your Makaton Tutor
- In-house Makaton champion and Makaton Tutor have regular updates with one another and the staff team
If you have premises customers might visit:
- Makaton symbols * and signs used across all staff areas to create a clear, concise, sensory calming environment for Makaton users
Use of symbols:
- Makaton symbols or another visual support system * are being used directionally to aid navigation around the premises
Use of signs:
- Understand the difference between the different signing systems
Register your interest
Ready to apply?
If you have already completed the Makaton Training process and have contact with a Makaton Tutor, you are ready to get started on your Makaton Friendly journey...
* Makaton symbols
We understand that Makaton symbols are not always used, and it can be outside of the organisation’s control, for instance the local council have made a decision to not support the use of it. If you do not use Makaton symbols, please let us know what you use instead.