What is Makaton Friendly?
Makaton Friendly is a partnership program designed to make organisations and community spaces more accessible to Makaton users.
At The Makaton Charity we are passionate about communication and firmly believe that all children and adults with learning or communication difficulty should enjoy equal access to services and facilities.
The Makaton Friendly scheme provides partners with training and support to make them accessible to Makaton users. Find out how to become a Makaton Friendly partner .
The Makaton Friendly partnership program is a key tool in making organisations and community spaces more accessible to Makaton Users. The scheme drives inclusivity to help create a fairer and more tolerant society for all.
We are passionate about communication and firmly believe that all children and adults with learning or communication difficulty should enjoy equal access to services and facilities.
How do I find Makaton Friendly places?
Use our simple online search tool to find Makaton Friendly places. Our partners include zoos, castles, supermarkets, cafés, schools, hairdressers; where will the next place to become Makaton Friendly be?
New Makaton Friendly organisations are added as they are approved. Can you think of any places in your local area that could be Makaton Friendly?
Look out for our Makaton Friendly organisations which will have this sticker in their window:
What makes an organisation Makaton Friendly?
All organisations that have been awarded Makaton Friendly status have demonstrated that they:
- Understand that different people use alternative ways to communicate
- Provide a supportive and welcoming environment so that people who have learning or communication difficulties whatever age, can take part in the services that are provided
- Use symbols and signs around the organisation to aid inclusiveness and independence with signage and wayfinding
How you can help
- Visit our Makaton Friendly places, knowing that Makaton users will be supported and can access the services provided.
- Send us your feedback. We are keen to hear your experiences of Makaton Friendly places.
- Spread the word! When an organisation becomes Makaton Friendly share their social media posts and tell your friends. You could even write a blog for us and we can spread the word too!
- Do you know of an organisation that you think could be Makaton Friendly? Then share our Become Makaton Friendly web page with them, which has all the details they need to join the scheme.