An MSB (Makaton Signing for Babies) Trainer is usually a professional
or parent with considerable practical experience of using Makaton in an
early years setting.
An MSB Trainer can deliver Makaton Signing for Babies to parents, carers and Early Years Professionals and the children in their care.
Makaton Signing for Babies Training can only be provided within Ofsted Registered Settings in England, the Education and Training Inspectorate in Northern Ireland, Education Scotland (previously Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education) in Scotland, Estyn in Wales, and government-funded organisations, registered charities and not-for-profit organisations. A Makaton Signing for Babies Trainer cannot work freelance.
MSB Train the Trainer
This training focuses on information giving, signing and activities. It also includes sessions on the delivery of Makaton Signing for Babies ,
paying particular attention to the format and presentation of sessions,
to encourage learning while having fun. Additional signs and symbols
related to babies and toddlers are taught.
An MSB Train the Trainer workshop is one day, where you will be required to deliver a session from Makaton Signing for Babies .
Prior to applying to become a Makaton Signing for Babies Trainer, you must have attended the following Workshops.
- Makaton Signing for Babies Sessions
- Level 1 and 2 Workshops or Beginners’ Workshop (Modules 1-4) or Foundation Workshop (Modules 1-4)
You must be able to provide MSB training within Ofsted Registered Setting in England, the Education and Training Inspectorate in Northern Ireland, Education Scotland (previously Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education) in Scotland, and Estyn in Wales and government-funded organisations and registered charities. A Makaton Signing for Babies Trainer cannot work freelance.
If you require clarification, please contact the Training Team on email@example.com
The Makaton Signing for Babies Train the Trainer course is a 1-day course:
- Part 1 (½ day) is a taught session, providing you with additional information related to MSB which is not covered in the Makaton Beginners Workshop.
- For Part 2 (½ day) you will present a Makaton Signing for Babies sample signing for baby session. This is assessed and counts towards your qualification as a Makaton Signing for Babies Trainer.
The cost of this 1-day training course includes tuition and relevant course materials. You will be notified of the outcome of your assessment by The Makaton Charity.
On successful completion of this training you will be issued with a
Makaton Signing for Babies Trainer Certificate and you can then apply
for a licence to practice.
Essential Attainment Levels for Certification as a Makaton signing for Babies Trainer
Makaton Signing for Babies Trainers must:
- Have a clear understanding of the design of the Makaton Vocabulary Language Programme, and the manner in which it can be adapted for use with parents and babies.
- Be able to sign the Makaton Signing for Babies Vocabulary accurately and fluently, with good recall and appropriate use of directionality, placement, facial expression and body language.
- Understand the relationship between BSL and the use of signs with the Makaton Language Programme.
- Be aware of other baby sign programmes available in their area and be aware of the difference and similarities in all systems.
- Know how to use Makaton Symbols to meet the differing needs of developing babies and methods of combining them with signs and speech in a multi-modal approach.
- Have a good general knowledge of the current relevant research related to the use of signing with babies.
- Be able to recognise the different needs of parents and carers and recommend the Makaton Language Programme where appropriate and advise on other training or sources of help and advice.
- Be proficient in using the recommended Makaton methods for teaching signs to parents and carers.
- Be proficient in providing Makaton Signing for Babies Training.
- Know when to request the assistance and professional contribution of their Makaton Regional Tutor or The Makaton Charity.
Go to Find training
to search for training in your area, or call the training team on 01276
606777 and they will put you in touch with a tutor near you.