Using Makaton with Singing
Using Makaton with Singing is a fun and easy way to learn to use
signs with singing for young children. Signing and singing have been
shown to encourage the development of communication and language skills
and are beneficial for vocalisation, confidence, social skills,
emotional development, well-being and self-esteem.
Designed for those have no prior knowledge of Makaton, Using Makaton
with Singing is provided as a half-day workshop for Early Years
practitioners, parents, teachers, classroom assistants, and community
musicians working with young children. You will learn up to 100 signs
and have fun practising them in songs adapted for different levels of
The 3 hour workshop is divided into four lively practical sessions covering:
- What is Makaton,
- Tips for Signing,
- Developing skills through signing and singing,
- Using Makaton in my setting.
On completion of this workshop you should:
- have a basic understanding of Makaton
- understand how Makaton can be used with singing
- understand how to facilitate choices using symbols and signs
- understand that songs can be adapted to suit the differing abilities of individuals or small groups
- be informed about other Makaton workshops and courses, access to signs, symbols and resources
- be informed about additional resources that can support session content
Find a using Makaton with Singing workshop
The Using Makaton with Singing Workshop is a 3 hour workshop made up of four sessions with each session lasting 45 minutes.
The workshop is designed for those who work with early years
children. There are no prerequisites for this workshop; you do not need
to have any prior experience of using Makaton and/ or singing.
Alternatively, you may already be using Makaton or have an interest in
signing and want the opportunity to use Makaton while singing.
You will receive a Using Makaton with Singing workshop manual which
includes the signs and symbols that you have learned. You will also be
given a certificate of attendance.